- What temperatures can I expect in the winter?
Kiruna is one of the coldest places of Sweden. Temperatures in the winter can go as low as -40°C/-40°F.
- Do I need special clothes for being outside?
Yes and no. The average temperature is about -20 in town, with normal winter clothes you can easily walk outside. When you go on a tour, like snowmobiling for example, it is a different story. In this case you’ll want to have special water and wind proof clothing to keep you warm in extreme temperatures. Of course we will be happy to advise you on this.
- When and where can I see the northern lights?
Northern lights are present year round, but not always visible. To see the northern lights there are a view things important; cold temperatures, dark night and a clear sky. Also, sometimes the northern lights are vague and almost white, other times they have very vivid green, purple and orange colors that are easy to see by the naked eye. Northern lights are not 100% predictable, but we have enough experience to advise you on the right time to go on a northern light tour.
- Are there any vegetarian/vegan options on tours and in restaurants?
We always try to consider people’s preferences. If you have any allergies, religions that prevent you from eating certain foods or you are vegetarian/vegan, just let us know and we would be happy to make it as suitable as we can for you. Shops and restaurants in Kiruna offer plenty of vegetarian and vegan foods.
– On snowmobile tours we can’t allow pregnant women. If you are pregnant, please report this to us. If for some reason you don’t report this to us, we are not responsible for any problems.
– On snowmobile tours we can’t allow children younger than 6 years. This because children younger than that are not able to express in a clear and understandable way that they are getting too cold. To prevent any injuries we stick to this rule.
– A person who wants to drive a snowmobile, has to have at least driving license B or motorcycle license.
– Before going on a snowmobile tour, it is mandatory to inform us about any deceases like heart problems, diabetes or asthma.
– If you have booked a transfer with us and your plane or train is delayed, it is you responsibility to inform us about this at least 20 minutes before the agreed time. If delay occurs later than that, please still inform us as soon as you have the chance.
– Cancellation of bookings need to be submitted and confirmed by us at least 24 hours before arrival. If the cancellation is submitted within 24 hours before arrival, we charge 50% of the total amount.
– Explore Kiruna can help you with hotel bookings, but is not responsible for the state in which the hotel rooms are in. We simply advise and help to find the best suitable hotels.